Motivational Interviewing: A Holistic Approach to Behavior Change
Health educators and wellness professionals witness the impact that certain lifestyle factors can have on a person’s health. They also see firsthand how difficult it can be for an individual to make changes that will enhance their quality of life. We know that simply telling someone what to do and how to do it doesn’t create lasting positive behavior change. What can assist is motivation interviewing. This inclusive and collaborative approach has been shown to be beneficial in many ways from resolving personal ambivalence to creating motivation. This strategy can help a client identify his or her own goals and find a positive result that is life changing and maintainable. Motivational interviewing allows the client to be in charge and determine their path to change.
Educational Objectives: After completing this training the participant will be able to:
- Understand the spirit of Motivational Interviewing
- Identify the four guiding principles of Motivational Interviewing
- Compare Motivational Interviewing with traditional methods used to promote behavior change
- Identify the six stages of change and compare to the Readiness for Change Ruler
- Learn the dos and don’ts of Motivation Interviewing
- Practice and nurture a style that includes a collaborative partnership of trust where the client takes charge of his or her own health
- Learn methods to build rapport with client, maintain flow of conversation through reflective listening, guide the client through ambivalence and use change talk to support the client’s self-efficacy
- Learn about and be able to apply thirteen Motivational Interviewing strategies and skills in any situation requiring change from alcohol and tobacco use to chronic disease
- Discover how to redirect a conversation and the benefits of open-ended questions
- Learn when to refer a client
- Discover and practice different scenarios that will lead to success in using Motivation Interviewing to foster positive behavior change
Once purchased, you will receive an automatic email indicating that your order has been received. This initial email will not have a link to access the course. Mind Body YOUniversity will be notified of your purchase and then will set you up in the system to become a member. Then, you will receive a second email. This will be an invitation email that will have a link and will allow you to create a password so that you can access the materials for the course. You will begin the course viewing/listening to the module and reading the materials. After completing the course, you will complete the test and evaluation. After completing all tasks with 80% correct on your test, you will receive your Certificate of Completion. Note: If you do not receive a passing grade on the first attempt, you may edit your answer(s) and resubmit.
CHES or MCHES - This activity has been approved by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. (NCHEC) for a total of 3 Category 1 credits with 1 CECH approved for advanced-level credit.