Healing and Preventing Chronic Disease and Cancer with Functional Nutrition
This four-hour self-study with audio modules, handouts and resources is being offered to health and wellness professionals who want to integrate traditional health education with whole-body health and healing and prevention.
Despite the advances of modern society, approximately half of Americans have a chronic disease with ~25% having multiple. Even children are impacted as more are diagnosed with adult-onset diabetes. In fact, this is the first generation of children who are expected to live less than their parents. As Hippocrates said, “All disease begins in the gut.” With this course, we will look at the body holistically and learn methods to address the root cause of disease rather than suppressing it. We will investigate the standard American diet and see how it can adversely affect gut health. We’ll review food choices as it relates to autoimmune disease, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, cancer and more. We’ll look at the pro-inflammatory nature that a highly processed, refined diet can have on the bodily systems. More importantly, we’ll look at specific foods that have been scientifically found to assist in the prevention of disease and cancer while providing nutrient-dense vitamins and minerals. We’ll also take a close view at what food labels, growing methods and certifications mean when you shop at the grocery. You’ll end the course understanding which foods have been scientifically shown to contribute to disease, cancer and brain health and which foods embrace health and well-being. You’ll also hear about studies that support all the information provided in the course.
- Learn about "natural" and "healthy" labels as it relates to food.
- Understand the difference between food manufactured in Europe and the U.S.
- Discover the use of genetically modified organisms and how it can contribute to gut imbalances and risk of health.
- Learn why dairy cannot be labeled as “hormone free” and the different additives that can be found in organic dairy.
- Discover the crops and produce that are “high-risk” and “medium-risk as it relates to health.
- Identify processed, refined foods that contain additives and those that do not.
- Learn the many names for hidden sugar and the dangers it can have in promoting systemic inflammation in the body which can lead to disease.
- Understand what the term “leaky gut” means and how it relates to autoimmune disease and other chronic diseases.
- Determine which current food practices in the United States are connected with cancer, dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Identify resources that encourage no or low-risk foods.
- Identify specific foods, nutrients, vitamins and minerals that promote the prevention and healing of disease and cancer and promote brain health.
- Learn how to demystify food labels as it relates to food growing methods, animal treatment and specialty labels so you and your clients can make the best choices.
- Identify other harmful “kitchen/home” practices that can contribute to disease.
Once purchased, you will receive an automatic email indicating that your order has been received. This initial email will not have a link to access the course. Mind Body YOUniversity will be notified of your purchase and then will set you up in the system to become a member. Then, you will receive a second email. This will be an invitation email that will have a link and will allow you to create a password so that you can access the materials for the course. You will begin the course viewing/listening to the module and reading the materials. After completing the course, you will complete the test and evaluation. After completing all tasks with 80% correct on your test, you will receive your Certificate of Completion. Note: If you do not receive a passing grade on the first attempt, you may edit your answer(s) and resubmit.
CHES or MCHES - This activity has been approved by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. (NCHEC) for a total of 4 Category 1 credits.