- Continuing Education
- Functional Nutrition: Let Food Be Thy Medicine
Functional Nutrition: Let Food Be Thy Medicine
This three-hour self-study with audio and video class and multiple handouts is being offered to health and wellness professionals who want to integrate traditional health education with functional medicine and whole-body health and healing.
All living beings need food and what we ingest should provide energy for health and vitality. The food we eat should be nutrient dense, rich in vitamins and minerals and free of harmful substances. With our soils depleted from over-farming and unsafe due to pesticide-use, many people find their health in jeopardy. During this course, you’ll uncover the truth about food and food-like substances that are ingested daily. You’ll discover that many of the Standard American Diet (SAD) food choices are connected to disease by creating inflammation within, hormone imbalance and gut disharmony. You’ll review and decipher how food is categorized so you can determine the healthier choices (organic, pasture-raised and more). You’ll learn how to prepare food in a manner that retains nutrients. You’ll learn about food combinations that enhance absorption. You’ll learn about food sensitivities and allergies as well as inflammatory responses and autoimmune disease. Lastly, you’ll discover the healing properties of food. Immerse yourself into a functional and integrative approach to nutrition that will empower your health and the health of your clients. “Let Food Be Thy Medicine and Let Thy Medicine Be Food.”
Educational Objectives: After completing the course the participant will be able to:
• Discover why foods in the Standard American Diet are often lacking in nutrition and causing disruptions in the gut microbiome.
• Determine where to locate nutrient-dense foods that encourage health and vitality.
• Learn about food categories such as organic, pasture-raised, grass-fed, cage-free, farm-raised and wild caught and decide the healthiest option.
• Determine food combinations that will assist in nutrient absorption.
• Discover methods of preparation and cooking that preserve vitamins and minerals for optimal health.
• Learn about digestion and the intricate path of gut health.
• Discover ways to determine food sensitivities and allergies.
• Learn how food choices can encourage an inflammatory response, autoimmune disease, chronic disease, brain inflammation and endocrine concerns.
• Discover healthy food choices that can enhance overall health and well-being.
Once purchased, you will receive an automatic email indicating that your order has been received. This initial email will not have a link to access the course. Mind Body YOUniversity will be notified of your purchase and then will set you up in the system to become a member. Then, you will receive a second email. This will be an invitation email that will have a link and will allow you to create a password so that you can access the materials for the course. You will begin the course viewing/listening to the module and reading the materials. After completing the course, you will complete the test and evaluation. After completing all tasks with 80% correct on your test, you will receive your Certificate of Completion. Note: If you do not receive a passing grade on the first attempt, you may edit your answer(s) and resubmit.
CHES or MCHES - This activity has been approved by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. (NCHEC) for a total of 3 Category 1 credits.